The foundation stone of our Memorial Library has at last been laid. The first step has been taken toward the fulfilment of our project. May the consummation be soon achieved and desire made reality. This foundation stone was laid on Anzac Day, 1923, the anniversary of that day (April 25, 1915) when the foundation stone of Australia's nationhood was laid by the glorious Ninth; a building which will take centuries to consummate, let us hope aeons. May it ever grow heavenward with a peerless architecture that will stand for all time. Men have tried in past ages to build edifices that might reach the sky, but none have succeeded. May it be given to the British Empire to do so and may Australia be one of the highest towers of that edifice.
This Memorial Hall of ours has, therefore, two functions; as a shrine to the fallen and as a symbol to guide us in their footsteps. Its portals will be sacred. The most carefree when he enters will surely be filled with reverence and awe when he sees that altar, on which rests that Golden Book of Heroes in the centre of the sanctuary. After war follows peace. Though she dally long on the way, she will surely come. So here shall ye find peace. That peace which is profoundest of all, which arises out of intellectual bliss.
We are here among the wisdom of ages. We are transported. We can see the past floating before our vision. Greek, Roman, Christian, Heathen are here to commune with us. Aristotle, Plato and Marcus Aurelius are in our midst. We go on campaigns with Caesar and Alexander. We wander with Ulysses. Our minds are uplifted. We feel exalted. "It is good for us to be here. We stand where we have an immense view of what is and what is past. Clouds, indeed, and darkness rest upon the future."
We gaze more intently. We are baffled by a brilliant radiance. It is the reflection from the past. The sages of old have shed their light for us and it becomes brighter as the world advances.
The President for 1922–23 was Mr. C. B. Fox. At the 1923 Annual General Meeting Brigadier-General L. C. Wilson was elected President for 1923–24; Mr. J. G. Nowlan continued as Hon. Secretary & Treasurer.
Old Boys' Association (Founded 1898).
No award. The Reginald Heber Roe Memorial Bursary had not yet been founded (first award 1933).
Both 1923 issues carry Old Boys' registers; not reproduced here.
Source: The Brisbane Grammar School Magazine, June 1923 and November 1923 (two termly issues, combined). Notation: Bracketed "(year)" = year of ENTRY. (No R. H. Roe Bursary before 1933.) School Captain 1923: R. G. Dodds (first-named Prefect). Head Master: F. S. N. Bousfield.
In this era, an Old Boy's year designation was the year he entered Grammar; the convention today is the year he finished. A boy who started in 1993 and finished in 1997 was (93) but is now '97.

Brisbane Grammar School Old Boys' Association · Old Boys History. Part of the OBA Knowledge Project.
Draft site for committee review. Spot an error or hold a missing piece? Tell the OBA