
On 11 November 1924, the War Memorial Library was opened in tribute to the 1,022 Grammar Old Boys who fought in the Great War, 176 of whom gave their lives.
In the early hours of Remembrance Day 2024, student representatives "planted" 432 fabric poppies in the lawn surrounding the Library to commemorate the 430 BGS students and two masters who gave their lives.
Old Boy architect John Barr designed the Gothic-style library, while Charles Tute's stained-glass additions visually symbolise the virtues of victory and peace. The library houses the Golden Book, a lasting record of each Old Boy who served.
The edition's Timeline of Remembrance also records that in 1921 the War Trophies Council handed a field gun over to the School, as captured in Palestine from the Turkish in 1918 by Old Boy Brigadier-General Wilson.
The Heritage Precinct, 2024
Praise for the new Heritage Precinct was attributed to the dedication of BGS archivists Pamela Barnett, Vivien Harris and Chris Price. Pamela Barnett initiated the preservation project in 1989, Vivien Harris continued it, then current School Historian and Archivist Chris Price ran the "home run".
The unveiling welcomed former archivists, Headmasters, students, trustees, teachers and members of the Parents and Friends and Old Boys Associations.
Source: Grammar News Summer 2025.
Source: Grammar News Summer 2025. Read the original edition